Monday, March 9, 2009

WWOOFing

Kathryn took off to Santiago to catch her flight, an I, feeling a little lost, decided do do WWOOF. (WWOOF is a worldwide network of organic farms, where volunteers trade labor for food and acomodation, no money is exchanged.) My first WWOOF experience was at a small outfit east of Puerto Montt, where I did some construction work on a new building, harvested lettuce and other vegetables, and worked on new beds. The volunteers were a mix of french and estadounidenses (a word for "Americans" that recognizes the fact that there are 35 countries in America). Since the french (being french) didnt all speak the best english, spanish was the common language, which was great practice. By the end of a week however, the volunteers that I liked the best were leaving and the work wasnt intersting enough to keep me around. I headed north for a stop off in Valdivia (where I am right now), and plan to continue on to Temuco, then to another WWOOF farm on the coast.

Just like home!

No comments: