Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Cancun Sucks

Obviously.

I spent last week in San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas. It is a sweet town, lots of live music, art, circus, international flavor, and generally cool people. Unfortunately, i spent most of my time resting up and hoping the microbes in my gut would stop giving me hell, after about 5 days resorting to extreme pharmochemical measures. The worst part was seeing so much good food, after the blandness of Guatemalan cuisine, and not being able to eat anything richer than pancakes and rice and boiled bananas.

Next stop was supposed to be Tulum, a small town a couple hours south of Cancun where I was going to camp on the beach and hang out. Unfortunately, the 16 hour bus ride, made even longer when the bus broke down and it took 4 hours before a new one came to get us, rolled through Tulum at around 6 AM with me passed out. So straight to Cancun it was.

Its my last day here, and i´m quite glad i´m not here for longer, i´d be bored to tears. Aside from drinking and partying, there´s very little to do. I went to the mercado this morning, usually that's an interesting excursion, but found it to be just a big souvenir fair! I don't know if there´s a real mercado in Cancun or not, but I guess why do you need the mercado when you´ve got a Wal-Mart? The beach is an endless strip of hotels and condos, to even get to it you pretty much have to cut through a construction site or hope you don't get harassed walking through a hotel lobby.

A rather anticlimactic end to the trip. That´s ok, I´m ready to get settled in Bellingham for another stretch. Summer is just around the corner!

No comments: